The late Newburgh Town Council member B. Gene Aurand with former Chair of the Newburgh, England Council, Clare Gillard at the 1996 unveiling of the addition of the "twinning" designation to the Newburgh, England town entrance sign.
Although there was a small settlement in this area of Lancashire long before the Normans invaded the shores of northwest England in 1066, Newburgh, England, came into its own in the 14th Century. The land, cottages, and farms belonged to the Earl of Derby. Most of the villagers were tenant farmers, coal miners, and canal bargees. Also in the village were a blacksmith and a wheelwright. In later years, there were pig farmers, a tailor, and a pottery industry. Still a close knit community with an approximate population of 1,200, the citizens of Newburgh, England, pride themselves in their strong desire to maintain the village character. In January, 1994, Newburgh, Lancashire, United Kingdom entered into a "Sister Community" relationship with the Town of Newburgh, Warrick County, Indiana, United States of America.
Newburgh, England - Post Office